Friday, March 4, 2011

Reflecting on the most special 3 months of my life



Things I didn’t miss about the US – the cold wind slapping my face, strip malls, advertisements everywhere and stop lights.

Things I missed about the US– Mexican food, normal electrical outlets, brushing teeth, drinking out of the tap, and getting water in my mouth while showering without having to worry about getting parasites, my car, friends and family of course.

Things I don’t miss about Africa– having parasites, taking Malarone pills against malaria, sleeping with mosquitos buzzing in my ears, public transport, exhaust and dust in my face and up my nose, not being able to jog anywhere outside.

Things I miss about Africa – Well, we don’t need to go there, there are so many!  Let’s just leave it at $.50 football  size avocados and mangos.


If I were to try summarizing my trip in a nutshell, I would have to say:  This trip was amazing in so many ways, but I look forward to making it truly my life.  I was chasing a dream for many years, and with hard work and a lot of money and Dominic’s love, it became real.  Even including all the frustrations of Africa, I still feel spoiled, and lucky, and grateful to Dominic, and happy, so happy knowing this is our new life.  I still don’t have answers to what, exactly, my new profession is, but I am feeling some answers get closer as I keep an open mind and as opportunities arise.  It seems that environmental education and conservation through sustainability and development is likely the course. I see those needs everywhere I go, and they are tangible with funding. I repeat, funding.  Fundraising is not my forte, but it must be somebody’s, right?  The world needs to grow many more awesome development people to help the dark nooks and crannies of the world.  It would be a way to further spread out the money of the wealthy to those who are in need. Philanthropy, the US was the first country to give a tax break to those who give, so as to encourage charitable giving.  Philanthropy has increased in recent years, as has the establishment of non-profit organizations.  There is more money out there, but more competition to get it. 

That is exactly not the reason why I want to start my own non-profit.  As any of you with non-profit experience know, it is no easy road!  But maybe I will try… The goal will be to raise money for education in struggling communities abroad.  This is not a new idea, and there are many organizations already doing it, but it is still needed in many nooks and crannies and it makes a huge difference not only in the lives of the individual people learning, but to the community.  This is my experience so far.  If I can see it, it is there, I don’t need statistics to know it works, although funders do.  Maybe a video clip can do the trick.
Jonna's rescue dog, Scruffy with his snaggle tooth

No comments:

Post a Comment